Saturday 11 November 2017

Time is a Loose Concept

Ok ok ok so it's been a month and a half since my last blog, sorry parents. Time is a loose concept so let's pretend it's only been a week and a half.

It's already November and I am not exactly sure where the last four and a half months went. How can it feel as though we have only been here for a few weeks, while it also feels like we have been here for a few years? Time. It passes and passes and becomes so skewed in our perception that we are consistently unsure of our place in this invisible, intangible temporal spectrum. It's easy to get lost in time here. The days are seemingly long, but they slip away as if it were only minutes. Yes of course I am exaggerating a little, we have many days that are excruciatingly never-ending. But looking back on all the photos and adventures we have had since our arrival plunges me back to these moments that are still so fresh in my memory, and makes them appear to have happened only seconds ago. At the culmination of each week, we reach Friday and I am faced with the reminder that this year will come to an end. I know, Slow down Molly you're not yet halfway there! But these kinds of reminders are incredibly valuable, because it gives us no choice but to be unwaveringly aware of the swift passage of time, and hopefully encourage us to take full advantage of our position in this moment in time. For example, I was really hoping to solidify verb tenses in my Language Lab classes by next month, but I am not exactly on track to achieve this. So, I must reorganize, rethink, and restructure some of my lessons and then re-attack them with fervor!

Additionally, I must be better at documenting the passage of these moments. While they all feel so close in time now, they will soon slip further and further away, and I will lose the lens of clarity through which these memories still project. What a dichotomy! Make sure you live in the moment, but also be sure to take time in this moment to document everything so that later on you can (accurately) live in the past.

Side note: the most difficult thing about teaching third graders verb tense is trying to simplify but also maintain accuracy of the explanation of time. Time. It's a loose concept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A farewell to teaching

Well, it's over. Today was my last day as a teacher. I spent it not in the classroom, but playing football, throwing colored powder aro...